[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 13:07:32 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher wrote:
> On 09/05/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Second, most of you have no deadline, no profits to make, no balance to
>> adjust. But a few of us have bills to pay. Bills have deadlines. And
>> bills not paid mean no more websites accessible.
>> Purity is fine. But we have to be practical as well, and accept that
>> money does not smell bad and is also needed to achieve our goal.
>
> But
> a) We don't even hold fundraisers on a regular basis yet (why not
> three regularly every year? with the election coming up it will
> probably be at least three months until we hold another...)

Correct. We could. But no board member was really available to "push"
the fundraising drive in may (june will be for elections). Departure of
Danny pretty much desorganized the area, so staff missing as well. But
there should be news on this very soon.

The fact we *could* do three fundraising a year does not mean we should
not use other ways to raise money. Services is one way (datafeed), using
brand awareness is another.

> and
> b) How does renaming the projects generate funds? unless we are
> renaming them "Google Wikipedia Books" :)

I have no idea. This is not my proposition.

I am mostly commenting on Yann statement "we have no balance to adjust
and no deadline", which is just not realistic. We do have deadlines and
we do have a balance to adjust (thank god, we do not have profits to
make :-)).