[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed May 9 03:12:20 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 5/8/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Erik, according to your page on meta you work for the company
> > OmegaWiki, which owns the domain name wiktionaryz.org.  Wouldn't you
> > say that there is a conflict of interest here in your proposal of a
> > plan which would severely dilute or destroy the Wiktionary trademark?
>
> Aside from the factual incorrectness of the statement (no company
> called OW, my work so far has been as an independent contractor), I do
> not consider this a Covered Transaction under COI as
> - the impact you allege is not the intent
> - it is not specifically targeted at Wiktionary, but a broad strategic proposal
> - a community discussion is one of the least problematic transactions
> conceivable.
>
> If other Board members disagree with my understanding of the
> situation, they will tell me so (and J-B in particular has been
> rightly vocal in pointing out COIs where they exist).

Thanks for the response.  Gerard has already corrected me on the name
of the company, and the fact that it is a non-profit.  As such I don't
see any potential problem with the relationship.

I apologize if I implied an allegation of improper intent.  I was
confused, and now things have been clarified.  I guess I should have
asked my loaded question privately first.

Anthony