[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed May 9 02:58:03 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> Erik, according to your page on meta you work for the company
> OmegaWiki, which owns the domain name wiktionaryz.org.  Wouldn't you
> say that there is a conflict of interest here in your proposal of a
> plan which would severely dilute or destroy the Wiktionary trademark?

Aside from the factual incorrectness of the statement (no company
called OW, my work so far has been as an independent contractor), I do
not consider this a Covered Transaction under COI as
- the impact you allege is not the intent
- it is not specifically targeted at Wiktionary, but a broad strategic proposal
- a community discussion is one of the least problematic transactions
conceivable.

If other Board members disagree with my understanding of the
situation, they will tell me so (and J-B in particular has been
rightly vocal in pointing out COIs where they exist).

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic