[Foundation-l] Sigh, problems with non-Latin usernames again

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Mon Jan 29 09:05:27 UTC 2007

> Did you read the definition on the English Wikipedia?  A requirement
> that people on the Chinese encyclopedia use Chinese characters is not
> "discrimination", but a requirement perfectly germane to the topic, much
> like it is not "discrimination" to allow only people with MDs to
> practice medicine.

Sorry but where do I need to use my user name in Chinese characters on
zh.wikipedia?

If you look at the recent changes there are so many users that edit with
latin script user names. I am subscribed like anywhere and I never
received a note that I had to convert to Chinese script. I could not
even do that since I don't know a word of Chinese. Now you will ask why
I then have an account there: well sometimes it was necessary to search
for a Chinese speaker.

So really I don't see a reason why people should use this or that script
for the user name. The only thing that should be a requirement is not to
use "mixed" scripts to create a user name - that means a user name that
is half Chinese and half Latin script ... well I can understand if those
are not accepted. Or do you change your name in writing in your passport
when you go to a country that uses another script?

Hmmmm .... ah ... and no, I did not read the definition on en.wikipedia
... no time right now :-)

Ciao, Sabine