[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 14 03:09:10 UTC 2007

effe iets anders wrote:

>I think snowdog made an excellent point in this discussion. NC is more free
>as Fair Use. So a direct consequence would be that NC should be allowed on
>Wikipedia. Even educational use only is more free. So if we choose for fair
>use in the long run, we have to be fair ourselves, and accept those as well.
>(To be clear: I am totally against allowing either NC, either
>educational-only either fair use). It just might very well be that the GFDL
>is worthless then, and when people are talking about throwing out our
>principles, what is more our principle then free licences?

I too have have serious reservations about Non-Commercial or Educational
Only licences.  I feel more comfortable with fair use.  I rather suspect
that these restricted licences stem from some sort of a political stand
about profit-making companies.  It's an idealistic approach that failed
to consider the consequences.

Ec