[Foundation-l] Board meeting in Rotterdam later this week

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Sat Jan 13 20:22:12 UTC 2007

The difference is that material licensed NC usually has freer
substitutes. Invoking fair use usually indicates the absence of a
substitute. Furthermore, fair use and NC are orthogonal considerations:
an image can be neither, one, or both. Just because we might allow fair
use as a compromise doesn't mean compromises elsewhere are warranted. I
don't see the logical step from allowing fair use to allowing
non-commercial media.

So, I'm against using non-commercial images unless we're using them
under fair use because we don't have a substitute.

If we use a fair-use image, a commercial organization can at least take
whole Wikipedia pages and re-use them. On the contrary, non-commercial
images must be removed if they don't meet fair-use criteria.

The key here is that we're producing a free-content *encyclopedia* on
Wikipedia, not a free library of the media used to create the content.
(Wikimedia Commons *is* a project creating a free library of media.)
This means the final goal is free-content articles. Non-commercial
images undermine that goal.