[Foundation-l] Proposed guidelines in our IRC channels

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Thu Oct 12 15:51:57 UTC 2006

> Why would the foundation want to be the controlling
> organization?  I question that WMF would ever want to
> assume responsibilty for these IRC channels.
I'm not saying that we enforce these rules at a foundation level, but
I'm using this list because I feel the issue affects users from all
the projects. I'm suggesting that the people who run the channels
organise themselves to agree on the rules for the benefit of all, and
enforce them according to the parts of the rules that detail that,
hopefully.

> However even if there is some good reason to do so in the
> future, why would this be a good idea to do so now?
Jimbo Wales denounced #wikipedia - I think that suggests we're are
doing something wrong.

> What sort of infastructure is in place for handling
> this new-found responsibility?   Is there a list
> somewhere of exactly which channels we are talking
> about?
The English Wikipedia has a good list, and you can substitute language
codes to find most of the others: [[en:IRC channels]]

Thanks,

On 12/10/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Why would the foundation want to be the controlling
> organization?  I question that WMF would ever want to
> assume responsibilty for these IRC channels.  However
> even if there is some good reason to do so in the
> future, why would this be a good idea to do so now?
> What sort of infastructure is in place for handling
> this new-found responsibility?   Is there a list
> somewhere of exactly which channels we are talking
> about?
>

> Birgitte SB
>
> --- David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/10/06, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > And I don't think #wikipedia channel policy as
> > proper topic here on
> > > foundation-l. Wikipedia-l is supposedly better to
> > fit?
> >

> > It is on topic if it's to be the controlling
> > organisation per Freenode.
> >

> > - d.

	—Xyrael / Sean Whitton ~ Knowledge is power, but only wisdom is liberty
		sean at silentflame.com | xyrael.net