[Foundation-l] Wolf Mountain MediaWiki Appliances Released

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Sat Jul 29 03:19:00 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Ilya Haykinson wrote:
>

>>Folks,
>>
>>Jeff is actually trying to build a business based on reusing Wikipedia
>>content, and yet a good half of these posts attack him for making use of the
>>content.  Nowhere in our charter does it say that we're building an
>>immutable work.  Let people who want to tweak it, rename it, change my
>>username to a foul word, rename all mentions of Jimmy Wales to "Evil
>>Dictator" or whatever do so.  The source material is Wikipedia.  The end
>>users can't call theirs Wikipedia, since that's the WMF's trademark.  Beyond
>>that, we should be encouraging all uses --
>>

>Yes.  The more of these there are the better.  This includes the right
>to use all or part of the Wikimedia material to start a new wiki.  The
>result still has to be consistent with GFDL, and trademark limitations
>should not be that much of a problem.  These new wikis aren't bound by
>NPOV, and they can be as liberal or conservative as they want around
>copyright law.  If they want to avoid wikilove and establish a
>flame-wiki that's up to them too.
>
>This all seems consistent with freedom of information.
>
>Ec

Well,

I don't have plans to call Jimbo an "Evil Dictator" and slam anyone else
ever again in the
community.

This project is for Native Langauge Preservation with each tribe getting
their own appliance and
translator to translate content and host it locally. I plan to help out
with Foundation with
my translation work, and we are actually one of the few groups actually
using wikibooks
for an actual education program, so the fit is a good one.

As for wikilove, I have my good share of it, after all, I am one of the
few community members
still here and doing my best to help out after the flame war of the
century with the Wikipedia
Community. I just hope everyone can forgive and forget and we can all
work together moving forward.

Jeff