[Foundation-l] Wolf Mountain MediaWiki Appliances Released

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jul 29 00:15:02 UTC 2006

Ilya Haykinson wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Jeff is actually trying to build a business based on reusing Wikipedia
>content, and yet a good half of these posts attack him for making use of the
>content.  Nowhere in our charter does it say that we're building an
>immutable work.  Let people who want to tweak it, rename it, change my
>username to a foul word, rename all mentions of Jimmy Wales to "Evil
>Dictator" or whatever do so.  The source material is Wikipedia.  The end
>users can't call theirs Wikipedia, since that's the WMF's trademark.  Beyond
>that, we should be encouraging all uses --

Yes.  The more of these there are the better.  This includes the right
to use all or part of the Wikimedia material to start a new wiki.  The
result still has to be consistent with GFDL, and trademark limitations
should not be that much of a problem.  These new wikis aren't bound by
NPOV, and they can be as liberal or conservative as they want around
copyright law.  If they want to avoid wikilove and establish a
flame-wiki that's up to them too.

This all seems consistent with freedom of information.

Ec