[Foundation-l] Reporting & communication

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 00:57:06 UTC 2006

Domas Mituzas wrote:
> Hi!
>

>>/me notes "the bureaucracy and hierarchy of WMF is as complicated as
>>... some christian denominacions which claim their apostelic
>>traditions
>

> :-) yeah, all that stuff to prove there is no cabal..
>

>>nothing in details for what they contributed to the Foundation. And as
>>far as I know, many of them believe they donate for hardware purchase.
>>It would be good to inform them how their former donations were used.
>

> Haha, well, the best report for what tech team is doing is that site
> is still up. ;-)
> All our major hardware purchases (well, other stuff than a meter of
> UTP cable)
> are shown on meta pages, and reports used to be more of an overview of
> problems and visions.
>

>>is spent for those. Or it was done under the name of WMF. Other kinds
>>of reports are therefore informative and helpful to develop the
>>Foundation's and consequently our own activities on the projects.
>

> I sure agree that it is nice to communicate :) I also believe that
> method for that should be part of our common sense :)
>
> Anyway, I think that at least tech stuff is pretty transparent for
> those who care.
> We're communicating (and always online :) in IRC, there's active
> mailing list, our wikis (and logs in them) are public, yadda yadda.
> Some guys even read village pump ;-)
> If only everyone around would provide that much of information about
> activities ;-)
>

>>So we expect you remember other present and important issues clearly,
>>including the informally proposed Houserule for Wikimania?
>

> I'm rebellious, surely not following that one. :)

I missed a step. What is this Houserule ?

As for hardware purchase reports, they have never been as clear as
today, since precise purchases are detailed and voted in a resolution.
They may all be found on the wikimediafoundation site. Now, just a
thought : if you are a visitor not familiar with this website, I wish
you good luck to find the resolutions :-) They are very much hidden. It
would be nice that someone helps to make them more visible. Perhaps even
putting a [[resolutions]] link in the toolbar.

I would love to see reports of the techco, at least to explain what they
are working on right now. I have no idea if Brad gets feedback on this.

The comcom is providing regular reports to the board. They are sent by
the chair (Michael), though I am unsure if they are written by himself
or by a collective. I do not think these reports (or part of them) are
public.

The spcom only provided three reports. The first two ones were not
publicly published; They mostly concerned the set up. I published the
third one very recently :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SPC_Report_April-July_2006.
I omitted some parts on purpose :-)

We got one or two reports of the trademark committee. For obvious
reasons, our strategy with regards to brand is not openly published.

ant