[Foundation-l] Wolf Mountain MediaWiki Appliances Released

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Jul 27 00:33:29 UTC 2006

Domas Mituzas wrote:

>I somehow stay at the idea that there's more freedom, when you can
>edit wikipedia without owning a mirror. Unless you want to fork ;-)

I think that's what I was talking about. I forked and now there exists a
Cherokee Wikipedia and
soon a Uto-Aztecan Wikipedia. Read
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Clans. Forking
is how we established settlements all over the Southeast in ancient
times - banishment was a good thing
-- a sign of new beginnings. Forking seeds new communities -- without
the conflict.

>Now strings are defined by community, as community supports Wikipedia.
>I'm not CFO, so I'm quite happy about that ;-)

I thought they were defined by Society and Economics? The community
unfortunately
apparantly operates in a vacuum (based on my empirical observation) and
does not seem to
listen to the outside world much. Society seems to awaken it once in a
while with USA today
articles, then it scratches, rolls over, and goes back to sleep to the
outside world. Not a bad
model for keeping focus, but one that prevents its members from seeing
the forest for all the trees --
reminds me of the old Novell culture in the mid 1990s which was also a
self contained isolated
island in the middle of Utah Valley.

>Wikify the world? Intentions are clear, now the methods are not.
>I guess concepts of distributed wikis might be better discussed at
>wikitech-l rather than foundation-l. There it would be really more on
>topic!
>
>BR,

I find I work better alone on projects like these until the dinner is
prepared and ready to serve.
I am happy to share, but I want to get 98% of the way there before I
have to deal with the
organizational issues. I've done this stuff for 25 years and people slow
me down at times.

All my Wikilove,

Jeff