[Foundation-l] Wolf Mountain MediaWiki Appliances Released

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Jul 26 17:41:54 UTC 2006

Domas Mituzas wrote:

>Hi!!!!
>

>>revolution/pro-alternate lifestyle propoganda materials
>>removed from the dumps.
>>

>You forgot China and their needs!

Good point. I don;t know where to start on that one, so some suggestions
would be welcome.
Perhaps I should post the filtering code somwhere and let folks who know
better than I
on the china issue create a categories template for filtering China content.

>Anyway, I'm somewhat confused. You disagree with idea that foundation is
>more worthy cause to support Wikipedia, than buying filtering hardware.
>

>>from much of the topics, or perceived erotic imagery in many of the
>>articles. My tools let you filter import XML dumps
>>

>Do your filters try to count how much pink is in picture? :)

They use an algorithm developed at U of U that detects pixel ratios of human
skin tone (the ratios are the same no matter what complexion) and tags them
for removal. From what I have seen its only a handful of images (@ 100) in
most of the dumps, and medial articles like "penis" and "vagina" I think
are
ok. Certain art images are objectionable to folks, along with articles
on words
like F__K, etc. which needs cleaning up.

>Anyway, I'm not sure censoring Wikipedia is helping Wikipedia.
>And I'm not sure anyone limiting access to proper wikipedia content is
>helping Wikipedia either.

Well, that's also my view as well, I hate censorship, but like it or
not, the conservative
element of the US comprises 98% of the folks who run these organizations
and have
real $$$ to support Wikimedia, and the criticisms I get when I talk to
folks about supporting Wikipedia are:

1). It's in the press due to inaccurate bios
2). It hosts radical left wing content
3). It is used as a lobbying platform by various political groups

Saying we support "filtering" and a "clean" version, whether its really
clean or not, shuts these people
up and at a minimum provides some level of comfort they can use the
content and have a degree of control
over certain categories of content use.

Were it up to me, I would say "let them eat Wikipedia as is", but its
not up to me, and I have to deploy
Native Translations in areas like the Cherokee Nation which is 99% hard
core Southern Baptist, and
other areas which do not have such an open view.

Jeff