[Foundation-l] Wolf Mountain MediaWiki Appliances Released

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Jul 26 16:15:00 UTC 2006

Domas Mituzas wrote:

>Hi!
>

>> and I am offering turn key systems with automated site mirroring
>>software, image sync tools, and machine
>>translators for Wikipedia.  The knowledge is free, the software is
>>free,
>>however, hardware
>>costs money ....
>>

>I'm not sure if running that hardware to support wikipedia is best
>way to do it ;-)
>I'd better support WMF to run the site! ;-)

Disagree. I've talked to a lot of organizatons and groups who love WMF
content but want to filter
it for in-house use similiar to CleanFlix. Most educational facilities
and religious groups who really love wikipedia want
a "clean" version of the content, with most of the sexual
revolution/pro-alternate lifestyle propoganda materials
removed from the dumps. WMF does a great job allowing all points of view
and all knowledge in the dumps -- I
respect this -- unfortunately, a lot of conservative groups who like WMF
content don't want the information overload
from much of the topics, or perceived erotic imagery in many of the
articles. My tools let you filter import XML dumps
for certain classes of content -- so there's a "clean" version of the
content. I doubt the LDS church wants to host WMF
materials with articles on beastialiy, same sex marriage, etc. It's a
matter of degrees. Making WP more pervasive also means
accomodating folks who have differing views and values. We offer a
family oriented version that's customizable as well
as Native American translation support.

The tribes hosting translations will consume a large number of these
units along with conservative religious groups and
family oriented groups. I have included a "donate now" button pointing
back to WMF in the main pages.

Jeff