[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Uto-Aztecan Project Status

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Jul 25 19:50:36 UTC 2006

Fred Bauder wrote:

>It's like Star Trek. And he's actually getting along with Utes, not
>easy.

Darrell Gardner, the Uncompaghre Ute leader of the Sun Dance adopted me
as one of his sons three years ago (a common Ute Custom).
He passed away August 20, 2005 from cancer. He was 80 years old. His
greatest wish was the preservation of their language and culture
for all Utes. He watched his friends one by one pass into the spirit
world who spoke the language and when he was the last one
left from his family band who knoew the culture and the language he
commented to me on how important it would be to
preserve it.

I spent many weekends on their reservation donating money, shoes, food,
and roofing homes for the elderly in my spare time to help
his people. They are a creative people with a deep and intense
spirituality -- but they are a race of warriors -- and they are
very serious people as well.

They are also one generation away from loosing their language forever.
This project will assure this does not happen.

Jeff