[Foundation-l] Update on ombudsman issue

Essjay essjaywiki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 20:12:25 UTC 2006

Oldak Quill wrote:
>> I may have been mislead on this (not a good situation for the bureaucrat
>> doing 95% of the namechanges on en.wiki) but my understanding is that
>> en.wiki does not permit forced name changes. Barring an order from the
>> Arbitration Committee, Jimbo Wales, or the Foundation Board, I just
>> don't think we can do it. I'd be interested to hear from Angela, who is
>> also an en.wiki bureaucrat and has far more inside experience than I do.
>>

> If you ban him the name will never be available for Wikimedia to use.
> A forced name change is far preferable.

It may be preferable, but if it's not allowed by policy, it's not
allowed. Bureaucrats are not permitted to set aside policy when they
deem it preferable; we're required to follow the rules regardless. If
the matter is extreme enough to override the policies of the English
Wikipedian, then it's an important enough issue for the Arbitration
Committee, Jimbo Wales, or the Board to order it done.

Essjay

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia