[Foundation-l] Please implement the [[Wikiversity:Main_Page]]

Eric R. Meyers ermeyers at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 20 19:13:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 13:21, Anthere wrote:
> > I've been very impressed with everything that The Wikimedia Foundation
> > has been creating while I've been gone, and I consider myself very lucky
> > to be doing my stuff with the help of Angela and Sannse at Wikia.
>
> You aware that Wikia and Wikimedia Foundation are two different
> entities, right ?

Yes.

I originally came to foundation-l earlier this month to ask for some expert
guidance about starting The Perl Wiki, and all that I previously knew about
was Wikipedia and Wiktionary, because I've used them to learn about many
things.  I'm always searching to identify what is wrong with my CNS, because
what I'm suffering from is very rare, if not unique, and the doctors don't
have a clue, so I'm just a little brain chemistry experiment to them.  The
physical disability is no fun at all, but at least I've got my mind back to
work finally, and I'm restarting my life, and I lived through a hell for my
two young girls. :)

Angela started up http://perl.wikia.com for me, and I been over there
inventing the structure of The Perl Wiki since then, but I haven't got enough
help yet to start producing the content that the Perl Wikipedians demand for
me to link into the Perl article.  I've got one systems programmer helping me
out.

> > James, or Jimbo, I'd like to meet you too, someday. :)
> >
> > Will someone please put this good thing on his desk today, so that he and
> > everyone else on the board can sign it off and get it done for the public
> > good.
>
> If you can find a way to make Jimbo sign/vote stuff, please tell me the
> secret :-) I am interested.

Be crazy enough to ask for "The Right Thing" to happen at "The Right Time." :)

> On a serious note, the spc is considering the creation of it. I intend
> the committee to give its opinion before Wikimania on the topic. It
> would be real cool if we could announce that at that time :-)

Now I'll learn about Wikimania.

> Then, after committee approval, we have roughly two options. We must
> submit it for board approval, which requires at least 3 approval, so at
> least 3 votes (there are 5 board members).
> Option 1 : submit it to the board and wait for the 3 votes. This may
> take a very long time.
> Option 2 : submit it with a maximum delay, after which only votes given
> are taken into account.
>
> In the past few days, I have been considering the three levels, data,
> information and knowledge. Most of our projects are actually providing
> "information". Wiktionary is rather providing "data". Wikibooks is
> sometimes providing "information" but it is sometimes wandering in
> "knowledge". Wikiversity will definitly entering the field of knowledge
> and this is what worried editors the most (the teaching part). Still, if
> I look well, the Foundation is claiming bringing knowledge. I see no
> reason why this project should not be started.

I don't believe that this should be so complicated.  Please read my personal
apology at the bottom of
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikiversity#Wikiversity_.E2.80.93_Final_Push

The 5 board members are actually living, breathing and thinking human beings
with the full mental capacity to be very proactive for "The Right Thing" to
happen at "The Right Time," and that is today, now and ASAP.  So much has
already been lost in this great delay.  The real shame is that some very good
people have simply walked away from supporting this very good thing.  I've
seen it, because it's in the record.  It's time for the 5 board members to
show some of their own "joyful" enthusiasm to actively bring this good thing
to fruition, or just kill it outright, so that it can find a better home in
this world.

What is The Truth?

Thanks,

Eric