[Foundation-l] Please implement the [[Wikiversity:Main_Page]]

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 17:21:21 UTC 2006

Eric R. Meyers wrote:
> Hello Wikiversity Opinion forums,

Hello

> Please forgive me for showing up so very late in this very important
> discussion about the Wikiversity project, just to give you my personal
> opinion, but I've been very busy recovering from a very serious Central
> Nervous System (CNS) disorder for the past 2-1/2 years, and I just started
> getting the mental energy to put my mind and my life back together this past
> spring.

Glad for you :-)

> I've been very impressed with everything that The Wikimedia Foundation has
> been creating while I've been gone, and I consider myself very lucky to be
> doing my stuff with the help of Angela and Sannse at Wikia.

You aware that Wikia and Wikimedia Foundation are two different
entities, right ?

> I've placed an entry following Cormaggio's at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikiversity#Proposal_-_done.3F.
>
> Please make me, and everyone else in the world who sincerely cares about
> public learning and the excellent Wikiversity project, "joyful" about the
> [[Wikiversity:Main_Page]] being implemented as soon as possible.
>
> James, or Jimbo, I'd like to meet you too, someday. :)
>
> Will someone please put this good thing on his desk today, so that he and
> everyone else on the board can sign it off and get it done for the public
> good.

If you can find a way to make Jimbo sign/vote stuff, please tell me the
secret :-) I am interested.

On a serious note, the spc is considering the creation of it. I intend
the committee to give its opinion before Wikimania on the topic. It
would be real cool if we could announce that at that time :-)

Then, after committee approval, we have roughly two options. We must
submit it for board approval, which requires at least 3 approval, so at
least 3 votes (there are 5 board members).
Option 1 : submit it to the board and wait for the 3 votes. This may
take a very long time.
Option 2 : submit it with a maximum delay, after which only votes given
are taken into account.

In the past few days, I have been considering the three levels, data,
information and knowledge. Most of our projects are actually providing
"information". Wiktionary is rather providing "data". Wikibooks is
sometimes providing "information" but it is sometimes wandering in
"knowledge". Wikiversity will definitly entering the field of knowledge
and this is what worried editors the most (the teaching part). Still, if
I look well, the Foundation is claiming bringing knowledge. I see no
reason why this project should not be started.

Ant