[Foundation-l] Quran in Sitenotice

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Thu Jul 13 15:57:32 UTC 2006

You're absolutely right, the discussion should be raised over there,
and it appears that it already has. However, I don't quite understand
the comments of Heema - when you say that the discussion is over and
the decision has been made, do you mean that there was an overwhelming
argument or that someone with a level of authority stepped in? The
latter seems unlikely because theoretically there isn't anyone except
the board of a local arbcom that could do that, afaik. Could you
clarify this, please?

On 13/07/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> Sean Whitton wrote:

> >something which Jimbo used to quote on his userpage (this seems to
> >have gone now). I would agree with him because a projects as wide
> >reaching as the foundation's cannot prosper without this. We need to
> >keep things as open and accessible as possible and only through NPOV
> >can we encourage people to get involved. If I was a non-Muslim speaker
> >of Urdu, I can imagine being concerned that the site was heavily
> >orientated in that direction, which is not the idea. Referring to #1,
> >it's an encyclopedia and the only purpose of having different
> >languages is to allow others to read and edit, not to make any other
> >divisions.
> >

> But are you a non-Muslim speaker of Urdu who has complained and dealt
> with this locally on the project?  I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't
> raise concerns, but a knee jerk reaction is also not called for if there
> is a place to address this within the Urdu Wikipedia and getting active
> users from within that project to deal with the issue.  I just havn't
> see what steps are being done from within the community to address the
> issue.  If you have tried to deal with this issue and admins are being
> belligerant in keeping this sitenotice up, that would be a completely
> different issue altogether.  Even then, we are only getting one side of
> this issue and assuming bad-faith.
>
> --
> Robert Scott Horning

	—Xyrael