[Foundation-l] re GFDL publisher credit

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Jul 13 12:14:13 UTC 2006

> > Robert Scott Horning said:
> >The precedence that I would like to use for why the WMF should hold
> >copyright on Wikimedia project content is the same reason why the Free
> >Software Foundation holds copyright for the GNU projects:  If there is a
> >copyright violation, they can be a legal party to enforcing the
> >copyright and defending the GPL.
> >
> My preference here would be to have each editor appoint WMF as a
> non-exclusive agent for the purpose of taking all steps to defend
> editors' copyrights.

Optionally, I hope.  I personally have no desire to sue people over
the vast majority of my legal rights under copyright law.  Basically,
as long as you don't take my works and then create a non-free
derivative, I don't care what you do with it, at least so far as
copyright law is concerned.

Frankly, I'd hope that the WMF would do the same, and only use
lawsuits to make works more free, not less.

Anthony