[Foundation-l] Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles

Volker Haas volker.haas at brainbot.com
Thu Jul 13 10:23:38 UTC 2006

Hi Oldak

Oldak Quill wrote:
> Will you be avoiding inclusion of fair use images? I would highly
> recommend this as it is quite hard to know where you are with fair
> use.

Currently we also include fair use images. Each image's copyright is
stated in the
list of figures of the book (which can be seen in the preview as well).
It is the users
obligation to check whether he has problematic images in his book (as
stated in the
terms of service). Do you think this is problematic?

> As Erik suggests, working within Wikipedia itself might be useful,
> might I suggest that you operate transparently. What I mean by this is
> that you tell us that you have had an order for a book and the client
> has specified a particular list of articles. Knowing this we can help
> you select the best versions of the article from the history, edit
> these versions for spelling and grammar, help you remove fallacious
> statements within these versions and help select which images to
> include. If you agree with this it would be a good idea to set up a
> Wiki so that this kind of editing can easily be done.

This is a nice idea but confronts us with a couple of problems: a user
compiles a book and
previews it and he expects to get a book which is identical to the
preview. Therefore we
would not want to have the articles changed after the user saw the preview.

Nonetheless I think that it would be a mutual benefit, if pediapress
could help discover
articles that need "attention". If we can figure out a good way of doing
so we are
open to discussion!