[Foundation-l] MediaWiki 1.7.1 and Wikipedia

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Mon Jul 10 22:13:16 UTC 2006

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Delirium wrote:
>

>>While I know there are plenty of logistical issues involved, I think
>>from the point of view of the Foundation's charitable mission this is
>>somewhat of a problem, because the point of producing Wikipedia is not
>>just to put up an encyclopedia at *.wikipedia.org, but to produce
>>encyclopedia articles that are Free and reusable by anyone.  If the
>>articles we distribute are only fully renderable by unreleased software
>>or software that's particularly complex to set up and configure, that
>>discourages third-party reuse.
>>

>And if that were true, I might agree.

Brion, thanks for offering to help.

Brion, it is true.  The XML dumps are not renderable except on the
unreleased Mediwiki. Take a look at the following.  I am running
1.6.7 with all of the extensions installed against the 20060702 XMl
dumps.  The English and Cherokee versions are both broken.
Also, SVG images are not rendered on 1.6.7 AT ALL from these dumps due
to a bug in GetHeight and GetWidth in Image.php.

http://www.wikigadugi.org/wiki/Cherokee_Language

http://www.wikigadugi.org/wiki/Ute_Tribe

http://www.wikigadugi.org/wiki/Back_To_The_Future

Jeff