[Foundation-l] MediaWiki 1.7.1 and Wikipedia

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Jul 10 20:46:37 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:
> While I know there are plenty of logistical issues involved, I think
> from the point of view of the Foundation's charitable mission this is
> somewhat of a problem, because the point of producing Wikipedia is not
> just to put up an encyclopedia at *.wikipedia.org, but to produce
> encyclopedia articles that are Free and reusable by anyone.  If the
> articles we distribute are only fully renderable by unreleased software
> or software that's particularly complex to set up and configure, that
> discourages third-party reuse.

And if that were true, I might agree.

But PHP 5 is neither unreleased nor particularly complex to set up. It's been in
production for years, is widely available on thousands of free and for-pay
hosting services, and can be installed on any home computer or server in a
manner of minutes using any number of package installers.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)