[Foundation-l] The Perl Wiki, or Perl-Wikipedia

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:10:59 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, Eric R. Meyers <ermeyers at adelphia.net> wrote:
> I didn't actually expect negativity towards what I believe will be a good
> thing.

Apoligies you arived in the middle of a seperate discussion that has
had some side effects.

> The immediate first impressions have brought reactions about
> copyright and trademark violations, but I'm not here to steal.  I'm here to
> use and emulate a very good thing.

Most of the stuff is free content so stealing outside some very narrow
areas would be somewhat tricky.

>I absolutely agree with you that part of
> the solution will be a multitude of references to Wikibooks, but another part
> of it will likely be Wikipedia-like encyclopedic topical references, and the
> other Wikimedia components, which I will be investigating tonight.
>
> Why would a completely new project be "unlikely to work too well?"

Problems with finding an editorbase. The foundation doesn't have much
in the way of a history of doing single issue projects. there appears
to be a general bias against them amoung the various wikimedia editor
bases since they tend to duplicat the work of either wikipedia or
wikibooks.

> What is it that you are seeing that will limit me to just using Wikibooks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Setting up a new type of project within the foundation is a slow
process. You best bet is probably either to stick with the articles on
wikipedia and wikibooks or to start your own project on one of the
various free wiki hosts or your own server.

--
geni