[Foundation-l] The Perl Wiki, or Perl-Wikipedia

Eric R. Meyers ermeyers at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 5 21:17:23 UTC 2006

Hi Jeff,

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 17:02, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> But be advised that if you import any of the XML dumps from
> download.wikimedia.org, then you
> will discover "Wikipedia" littered throughout, including ads for
> Wikimania, funding solicitation, etc. , so to
> remove any confusion, convert the word "Wikipedia" into an adjective by
> terming it a "Wikipedia Mirror"
> if you are mirroring their content - it its a new wiki not mirroring
> their content, "Wikipedia" is an restricted
> trademark.

I didn't come here two steal Wikipedia content, etc., from Wikimedia; instead,
I came here to learn, discuss, and find "The Right Way" to do something for
the global Perl community that everyone can agree with hopefully.  I have no
plans to do anything, download anything or mirror anything, I'm only a few
days into an idea, and I believe that I came to "The Right Place" to discuss
something with the Wikimedia experts, and to find out what can and can't be
done.

If I came to "The Wrong Place" to discuss ideas with the Wikimedia experts,
then please direct me to "The Right People" to talk to at Wikimedia.  I just
see a very good parallel for the needs of "The Perl Wiki," as what Wikipedia
has been doing for all of the topics under the sun.  Perl topics are just a
subset of All topics.  There is no sense in doing something different and
separate for the many varied topics in Perl, when Wikimedia has been coming
up with fantastic solutions for encyclopedic information and all topics in
general.  I don't know what can and can't be done yet, but I do know that
Wikimedia is doing "The Right Stuff," so that is why I'm here willing to
learn and discuss these integration problems, while personally risking
looking like an idiot in public. :)

Eric