[Foundation-l] Offering Wikibooks content for sale

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jul 5 14:39:47 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> My impression is that using the title of the book (Wikijunior Big Cats)
> is an acceptable use of trademarks, but perhaps I'm wrong.  How this
> sort of trademark applies to GFDL'd content is untested legally.

The GFDL is rather explicit with this, at least with regard to
derivative works.  Derivatives are supposed to "Use in the Title Page
(and on the covers, if any) a title distinct from that of the
Document, and from those of previous versions (which should, if there
were any, be listed in the History section of the Document)."
Verbatim copies would presumably have the same title, but I suppose
the GFDL doesn't explicitly state this.

However, [[Wikibooks:Copyrights]] states that "You may use the same
title as the Wikibooks book and/or module(s) but trademark law
prevents you from advertising the Wikibooks or Wikimedia names without
our written permission."

Anthony