[Foundation-l] Celebrity pictures

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 08:08:17 UTC 2006

That is not fully true. I have tried myself in the past to get photo's
sourcetexts and other material to extract from organizations. It works
very difficult because they don't like to deal with individuals. And
they don't get at all how the wikimedia-projects work. They feel an
urgent need to speak with a formal organization, even if that does not
matter at the end. If you want to get photo's on a large scale, you
need to be able to say: "Hi, I'm xxx from the yyy-organization, and I
am here to talk with you". It should not be a problem to mention as
well that you are not allowed to make any agreements on behalf of that
organization.

Such an organization does not have to be per se the Wikimedia
Foundation Inc., but can also be a local chapter. As long as you can
tell them *somehow* that you are associated with such an organization.
You need that to enter the conversation. If they are going to release
images in the free domains, you don't ahve to make up contracts, sign
stuff or someting like that, so it should not be a big deal.

Of course the foundation-people have already a lot of work to do. But
it should be possible to get more people in semi-formal positions,
right? theoretically we could make up an officer for obtaining open
content and material for the projects. The officer does not have to
have any "power", abilities or something like that, just the name does
already do a really good job. Maybe something to think about?

Greetings, Lodewijk