[Foundation-l] Removal of Cherokee Translators from Wikimedia

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Aug 17 20:57:55 UTC 2006

Sabine Cretella wrote:

>Amgine schrieb:
>

>>On 17-Aug-06, at 10:42 AM, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>>

>>>Concensus from whom?   a triumverate of three?
>>>
>>>At any rate, discussion is open on the topic.   If having a Cherokee
>>>based community website is so offensive, I'll maintain it off site and
>>>the ANA and Federal Government finanacial contributors are welcome to
>>>help us with the program.
>>>

>>The promotions and translations subcommittee is an element of the
>>Communications Committee. It's open to *individuals* to be involved,
>>and they have a discussion list.
>>
>>Your translators are undoubtedly welcome to be involved in group, as
>>people. But websites are not people.
>>

>>Amgine
>>

>Thank you Amgine! I talked with Aphaia yesterday about this. Fact is: if
>we allow one website to be there we also have to allow others - we very
>much welcome Cherokee translators if they give us a direct contact. Now
>that on meta enotif is enabled they could simply create an account and
>activate notification and just set up a translator's profile. They will
>then get an e-mail if their discussion page is changed.
>
>Imagine what would happen if we allowed for websites to be there - links
>like:
>http://translatorscafe.com/
>http://proz.com
>http://gotranslators.com/
>
>would appear sooner or later - and their reasoning would be: "well there
>are so many translators who would like to help for free". There of
>course we can find translators if we ask them - but it is not the case
>to put links to any website into a list of translators only because
>there are many translators to be found ... well I could also add my own
>translator's portal - there are plenty of people who helped with
>Wikimania 2005 - I always kept this apart because my portal has nothing
>to do with the foundation. The only thing these translators have is a
>tag "Translator for Wikimania 2005" that allows me to find them
>immediately if I have to ask someone for help.
>
>Jeff, please don't understand this wrong - we really talked quite some
>time about that. It was not "just a decision taken because of some kind
>of a strange mood".
>
>Best,
>
>Sabine
>Chiacchiera con i tuoi amici in tempo reale!
> http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com

Then why was the name of the translator removed along with the website?
You removed not only the website, but the name of the translator
as well (both entries were removed and were unrelated to one another). I
really could care less if the website is there or not. I get massive
traffic and search engine scraping on the site and it matters little if
its listed on your translators page or not.

Do you have an explanation for this as well?

quote:

"...we very much welcome Cherokee translators if they give us a direct contact..."

Jeff