[Foundation-l] Wikiversity license

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Thu Aug 17 07:15:15 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:

>On 8/16/06, Guillaume Paumier <guillom.pom at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 8/16/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>

>>>Is there any reason not to handle Wikiversity like the commons, and
>>>allow any license so long as it's free?

Yes.   The GNU FDL is a fairly widely well understood copyleft or
"viral" license clearly intended to grow the current and future commons.

The wide range of various languages claiming to be "free" with
definitions ranging from public domain to close to standard commercial
copyright have the potential to alienate and confuse potential contributors.

English Wikipedia clearly benefited early from committing to the FDL on
the submittal form and we would like Wikiversity to gain the same rapid
benefit.  Particularly since the Board has chosen for us a short leash
or "beta" period of six months.

Personally I thought the last year was all about putting the prototyping
into the proposal for a yes or no authorization.  Another six month
evaluation period seems to me a lot like another serious maybe or
stall.   Possibly detrimental to inspiring many to invest a large amount
of volunteer effort at Wikiversity.   Might be better to wait and see if
Wikiversity is simply quietly canceled or fades out again.

regards,
mirwin