[Foundation-l] bylaws

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Aug 16 08:42:39 UTC 2006

Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>snip
>

>>My first general observation about this set of by-laws is that they
>>should not contain what does not need to be contained.  By-laws are
>>about establishing a structure that allows an organization to function.
>>Beginning with the first section, what's the purpose of showing the web
>>address in the by-laws?  References to any websites should not be in the
>>by-laws since these are subject to often daily change.  A look at the
>>edit history of [[Wiki]] will be enough to substantiate that.
>>
>>The Statement of Purpose needs to be greatly simplified.  Many of the
>>details here can be expected to change over time.  Why not simply say
>>something like:
>>
>>   * The purpose of The Foundation is to promote and institute the
>>     universal free access to all knowledge based on the principles of
>>     mutual respect of editors, neutral point of view and respect for
>>     copyright.
>>

>Perhaps "all knowledge" should be amended to "all free knowledge" or "
>the entire knowledge commons of humanity" or something with similar
>implications.

"All knowledge" is fine.  The fact that certain knowledge is not free
now does not imply that that will always be the case.

>Surely we are not intending to publish proprietary trade secrets or data
>classified as national secrets such as the design or performance
>specifications of the highly rumored B-3 project?

Before that question can be meaningful someone needs to have access to
the material.  Bringing military secrets out into the open would help to
create a level playing field on the road to general disarmament.

Ec