[Foundation-l] bylaws

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Wed Aug 16 04:44:38 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:

snip

>My first general observation about this set of by-laws is that they
>should not contain what does not need to be contained.  By-laws are
>about establishing a structure that allows an organization to function.
>Beginning with the first section, what's the purpose of showing the web
>address in the by-laws?  References to any websites should not be in the
>by-laws since these are subject to often daily change.  A look at the
>edit history of [[Wiki]] will be enough to substantiate that.
>
>The Statement of Purpose needs to be greatly simplified.  Many of the
>details here can be expected to change over time.  Why not simply say
>something like:
>
>    * The purpose of The Foundation is to promote and institute the
>      universal free access to all knowledge based on the principles of
>      mutual respect of editors, neutral point of view and respect for
>      copyright.

Perhaps "all knowledge" should be amended to "all free knowledge" or "
the entire knowledge commons of humanity" or something with similar
implications.

Surely we are not intending to publish proprietary trade secrets or data
classified as national secrets such as the design or performance
specifications of the highly rumored B-3 project?

regards,
lazyquasar