[Foundation-l] Wikibooks texts and Wikiversity

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 20:21:41 UTC 2006

On 8/15/06, Amgine <amgine at saewyc.net> wrote:

> On 15-Aug-06, at 12:24 PM, Craig Spurrier wrote:
>
> > I would assume that they were referring to moving the content in the
> > Wikiversity namespace (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity).
> > There
> > is plenty of content that is not appropriate for Wikibooks in this
> > namespace. AFAIK no one wants to delete actual textbooks from
> > Wikibooks.
>
> Thanks for clarifying that. I note, however, that this is not what
> was said in IRC. Specifically, the discussion was about textbooks on
> Wikibooks. It was not about project pages, or the Wikiversity namespace.
>
> Amgine

So, what was said on IRC was the following (edited):

[5:26pm] cormaggio: Amgine - wikibooks wikiversity content will be
moved (in as much as is possible and least damaging to wikibooks)
[5:27pm] Amgine: Why would you move content *from* wikibooks, which is
a project where it belongs?
[5:29pm] cormaggio: Amgine - that is the idea, yes - to move the
content to Wikiversity. If people want to move their content back to
wikibooks, to develop textbooks, they are free to do so. We have a
Wikibooks admin prepared to help us with this (Robert_Horning)
[5:29pm] Amgine: I'm sorry: are you going to be *removing* content
from Wikibooks?
[5:30pm] Amgine: Just need that clarified.
[5:30pm] cormaggio: I thought that was what Robert had in mind, yes.
[5:30pm] Amgine: I will be adamantly opposed to removing textbook
content from wikibooks.
[5:31pm] cormaggio: hmmm, but Wikiversity content is not all textbook oriented
[5:33pm] Amgine: Cormaggio: I agree entirely. I would suggest
Wikiversity focus primarily on non-textbook items, and support
Wikibooks's mission for the actual textbooks.
[5:33pm] cormaggio: absolutely Amgine
[5:35pm] NotACow: i see no reason to remove textbook content from wikibooks.
[5:35pm] cormaggio: NotACow - no, we will not be moving textbook content

So, maybe I was misinterpreted, but what I meant was that much of
Wikibooks:Wikiversity content would be moved to Wikiversity. This
would be done providing it was *not* textbook content.

Cormac