[Foundation-l] bylaws (second call)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Aug 13 23:31:04 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:

>On 8/13/06, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bylaws_update
>>

>The proposed bylaws do not at all mention the chapters.  Is this
>intentional?  It's my understanding that chapters are not legally
>affiliated with Wikimedia except that they license the use of certain
>trademarks.  Is this correct?  And is this pretty much what everyone
>wants?  What do Jimbo and Brad (apparently the two main proponents of
>a non-membership organziation) think the role of chapters should be?

I have yet to see a clear rationale for a memberless Foundation.  In
some jurisdictions such a concept is unthinkable.

>I think how chapters are going to be handled is very important when
>formulating bylaws.  Of course that doesn't mean chapters have to be
>mentioned in the bylaws, if the decision is for them to be treated
>like any other trademark licensee.

Chapters are organized under the laws of other countries to cope with
legal circumstances in various countries.  The influence that the Board
has on the operation of these chapters is limited.  Some mention of
chapters in the section of the by-laws relating to purpose, and in the
dissolution clause may be warranted.

Ec