[Foundation-l] board candidacies

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Aug 12 20:47:28 UTC 2006

On 8/12/06, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> The main problem is knowing what is an official Wikimedia related
> expense, so I've assumed that little of what I do is. For example, I'm
> currently attending conference at which I'm giving a short talk about
> Wikipedia tomorrow, and will be spending $90 of my own money on taxis
> (I could spend less if I got public transport instead, but that I
> don't have time to spend 4 hours on trams). I'm not paid for the
> event. (I've never been paid for any event, though one I did was
> supposed to have paid me). Is this a valid Wikimedia-related expense?
> I have similar things about once a month, often costing far more than
> $90 since they're not usually so nearby. I don't see a way of
> distinguishing between valid Wikimedia expenses and expenses that are
> only indirectly related to me being on the Board.
>
> Angela.

I'd say a speaking engagement is a valid expense if the board
authorized it beforehand (in a vote which recused yourself from), or
if the board authorized someone other than you to make the decision
and that person authorized it beforehand.  There are probably more
liberal standards which could be legally adopted, but those standards
are a good idea to play it safe.

As far as officially sanctioned unpaid speaking engagements go, I'd
think they should probably be rather rare, especially for a board
member that is resigning in a short while.  In my opinion the
conference attendees should generally be the ones paying for your
expenses, not Wikimedia.  But I'm neither on the board nor authorized
by the board to make these decisions, so my opinion really doesn't
matter.

Anthony