[Foundation-l] Emergency on Wiktionary

Filip Maljkovic dungodung at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 16:58:04 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Walter Vermeir wrote:
>

>> Ray Saintonge schreef:
>> [cut]
>>

>>> While it is also possible that there can be rogue bureaucrats, these
>>> will be proportionally rarer than rogue admins.  Anyone who has become a
>>> bureaucrat has a very high degree of trust in the community, and
>>> especially in relatively larger communities there is sufficient
>>> oversight to prevent the abuses that may be more common with the
>>> untested bureaucrats of tiny communities.  Speaking arbitrarily, one
>>> could define a larger community, as one with at least 50,000 articles
>>> and/or 2 active bureaucrats.
>>>
>>> Ec
>>>

>> Not all wikis are the same. You can not project the situation of EN to
>> all other wikis.
>>
>> I have just done a de-sysop/de-bureaucrat on the Serbian Wikpedia. There
>> the have (now) 40 sysops and of those 25 are bureaucrat.
>>
>> That is from my POV an irresponsible number of bureaucrats. I do not
>> know how many active user there are. The have 34700 articles.
>>

> 25 bureaucrats on such a small project doesn't make sense considering
> the limited duties that are reserved for bureaucrats.  Still it's up to
> the sr community to sort that one out.
>
> Ec

The fact that we have that many bureaucrats comes from our character as
a community: up until recently we've been pretty open and hadn't made a
big deal out of administrators and bureaucrats. But now, with what's
been happening recently, I think that there's a consensus that we should
reduce the number of bureaucrats to a minimum (5 or so) that would carry
out the bureaucrat tasks when they are asked.

Filip