[Foundation-l] Celebrity pictures

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Thu Aug 10 10:02:59 UTC 2006

Christopher Larberg schrieb:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 23:43 +0200, Garion96 wrote:
>
>> Would it be a good idea if the foundation would ask for 'free' images from
>> big record companies (like Sony music entertainment), actor agencies etc. I
>> know any editor can do this, but it would definitely have a greater
>> chance of success if it is coming from the foundation.
>>

> Just to interject here, I think it's worth a shot (if someone at the
> Foundation is willing to do it), but I'd be willing to bet that most of
> those publicity photos are only offered under non-free licenses (limited
> redistribution, no derivative works, etc.). I still think it wouldn't
> hurt to at least try, though.

While favorable, wikipedia does not really *need* high resolution photos
in this case; an image for a web site can be much smaller (200x300 pixel
would suffice) than an image needed for high-quality printing. Maybe
some companies would be willing to release such a low-res version under
GFDL or CC-BY-SA, as potential commercial use of these images is limited
due to their small size.

And yes, I'd prefer hi-res images too, but if the choice is "no free
image" or "small free image", I'd always go for the latter...

Magnus