[Foundation-l] Bot flagging, stewards, & bureaucrats

Guillaume Paumier guillom.pom at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 15:13:17 UTC 2006

A bot with a sysop status may be temporarily useful if a huge number of
pages must be deleted, but this shouldn't happen very often. For example,
the new namespace Project: has just been opened on Fr Wikipedia, and all
wikiprojects have been moved from Wikipedia:Project/X to Project:X.
Thousands of redirects have thus been created. Redirects concerning project
subpages are being deleted. This is a task a sysop bot could perform.

Blockin is a more delicate sysop tool, which imho requires a human being to
be in front of the screen.

However, a bot is damn stupid: he just does what he has been told to do. If
a bot is arbitrarily blocking IP or anonymous proxies, he has just been
badly programmed :)

g.

On 4/28/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Essjay wrote:
> > Jon Harald Søby wrote:
> >
> >>Go ahead. I'll remove it if it works. =)
> >
> > Just tested on en.wiki; you can assign a sysop flag to an account that
> > already has a bot flag, but you cannot assign a bot flag to an account
> > with a sysop flag. The account in question (User:EssjayTest, my testing
> > account) is now desysopped and deflagged. (Thanks Jon!)
> >
> > Essjay

> That does not really answer my question...
>

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions#Desysopping_of_cs:Wikipedista:Egg
>
> Whether technically possible or not technically possible, Proxybot was
> both a sysop and a bot on the cs.wikipedia.
> His activity is to block ips :
> http://cs.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Speci
> ální%3ALog&type=block&user=Proxybot&page=
>
> Is that suitable that a bot also has a sysop status ?
>
> Ant

Guillom
"Je sers la science et c'est ma joie" - Basile le Disciple
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Guillom