[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 12:59:32 UTC 2006

On 4/25/06, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
> Delphine Ménard wrote:

> >A Vereniging is a member organisation, much on the model of all other
> >Wikimedia Chapters. Its board is elected by the general assembly, made
> >up of members who pay their fees to be part of the organisation. Note
> >that members *have* to be part of the Wikimedia projects to be members
> >of the organisation. Which, if anything, puts the power in the hands
> >of *the community*.
> >

> This is absolutely contradictory to what RonaldB writes. HE writes:
>
> (http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:De_kroeg#Een_poging_tot_samenvatting)
> "Iedereen, er is geen enkele beperking, kan lid worden. Zelfs mensen die
> nergens aktief zijn. Nederlanders en niet-Nederlanders, enz."
>
> "Everybody, there is no limitation, can become a member. Even people who
> are active nowhere. Dutch people, non Dutch people."

Probably my mistake. I had in mind that the Vereniging only accepted
people who were part of the Wikimedia projects. Read my interventions
on the English translations of the bylaws, I was personally against
it. And all the better if other people can become members. My
experience proves that sometimes, people who have never edited a wiki
can be excellent members of the organisation.

[snip]

>Untill people threatened to start a
> desysopping against him. then he all of a sudden responded. A person who
> acts like this ..... how can I trust him or her?

[snip]

I continue to see this mixing of the  "project" with the
"organisation", I believe it is a mistake. I am sorry, but you don't
"desysop" someone for something they have done in real life. You do if
they've abused their rights and duties as editor or administrator.

I do not read Dutch, so I cannot refer to all the conversations you
point to and make my own opinion. I tried to give another perspective
on the matter and address the points I could address.

I am available to continue this discussion privately, or with the
chapters committee where relevant. I do not wish to engage further in
this debate here, as I believe this is a matter of the Dutch to
settle, it is they who should come up with a satisfying answer for all
parties involved, not those of us who don't read Dutch, nor have all
the facts.

Cheers,

Delphine
--