[Foundation-l] Wiki trademark issue for ZH Wikipedia in mainland China

THD theodoranian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 17:12:38 UTC 2006

Hi,
There are some things different between Chinese characters and English word.
Every Chinese character has its own meaning. When we translate a foriegn
language into Chinese, sometimes we do it by meaning, but more often we use
characters with similar pronunciation for translation. Wiki is a generic
name, so it can't be a trade mark. In Chinese sphere, wiki can be translate
in many ways. Such as 維基 (now all the Wikimedia projects in Chinese
language, the first one pronunces as "wei", and the second pronunces as
"gee"), 圍紀(first "wei", second "gee"), and 維客(first "wei" , second "ke")etc.
維基 is one of translations of the word "wiki", and it was chosen by Chinese
Wikipedians to be the only name of Chinese Wikipedia. Before Chinese
Wikipedian's choosing 維基 as the name, there was no famous name of wiki
technology. The problem is "if we don't register 維基, the Chinese Wikipedia
will face the challenge of changing its name (in Chinese)". Wikipedia is one
word, but 維基百科 have 4 characters.  In Chinese text trade mark, the
government protect the usage of charater singly.When someone registers 維基,
other people can't use 維基 in their own trade mark. So the situation is not
the same.
THD

在 2006/4/22,Jakob Voss <jakob.voss at nichtich.de> 撰寫: