[Foundation-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 00:01:40 UTC 2006

Michael Davis wrote:
> Kelly Martin wrote:
>
>>I also find it very hard to believe that Erik was acting in good
>>faith.  I remain utterly perplexed by many of the comments in this
>>discussion, especially the ones from members of the Board, who I would
>>normally expect to refrain from contradicting their valued employee so
>>obviously; normally when a valued high-visibility employee makes a
>>mistake (and I am not saying that Danny did) the public statement
>>comes in the form of a carefully worded press release from the
>>organization as an entity, not as offhand rebuking comments from
>>random Board members, and normally the affected employee is informed
>>in advance.  But I guess I'm used to a more professional approach from
>>a leading non-profit organization.
>>

> Whatever statements have been made by Board members, including this
> statement, are made by them as individuals and only carry whatever
> authority the community deems appropriate for that individual.  And you
> are right, a more professional organization would handle these matters
> quite differently.
>
> Michael

Writing a press release ?

Sure. Which level of energy and time does that require ?
First, the board needs to discuss this together. See where they agree.
When they agree, they should contact the comcom. Have the comcom write a
press release. Put it on the board wiki. Vote. Then publish.

At the minimum, two weeks. If all goes well.
In other words, forever. Needless to say that this will never get done.
If only because we have other things to take care of. This might be
possible in an organisation where the board has nothing to take care of
other that doing a yearly meeting with petits fours and champaign. Not
exactly our organisation.

The Foundation is less than 2 years old Karynn.
When I consider the travel already done, I am amazed. When I joined, the
Foundation was nothing. It did not existed at all. All it had was
basically a couple of servers, a dozen domain names and a highly visible
and appreciated president.

That was all.

Board members had to fit.

As a board member, I followed the principles which drove me as an
editor. I tried to listen to people the best I could. I tried not to
offend people too much. I tried to inform people as much as I could
whilst respecting confidentiality when it was required. I tried to
organise things when nobody was organising them. I spoke loud when no
one had the guts to speak loud. And I spoke plain when no one spoke
plain. I tried to give ideas.

I never claimed to be a professional. I only tried to help the best I
could a project I loved and found fabulous. I would have helped more as
a board member if I had been given the opportunity to act as a board
member as the job is defined in more "professional" organisations. It is
not the case.

The more I think about it, the more I think you guys can be very happy
with a valued highly visible employee.

Ant