[Foundation-l] Lost money

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Apr 19 20:22:12 UTC 2006

Jakob Voss wrote:
> Uhm, the problem that people may like to donate when servers are down
> but cannot do so when servers are down is known for ... years? Why is
> wikimediafoundation.org still hosted at Wikimedia's own server
> farm?

Because it will take a million years to get permission from the board to get
additional hosting. ;)

About the donation form issue, please see prior messages about the squid error
message.

> It's only a small website isn't it? I bet the costs of moving to a
> reliable, independent webhoster will easily pay off.

Ah, but if Wikipedia is down, the traffic requirements for it will be HUGE. So
you can't think of it as a "small website". When we previously tried mirroring
the donation page on Angela's site it simply collapsed under the weight very
shortly afterwards.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)