[Foundation-l] Lost money

Jakob Voss jakob.voss at nichtich.de
Wed Apr 19 11:08:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

"The Wikimedia Foundation servers are currently experiencing technical
difficulties. [...] If you would like to help, please donate."

Ok, this happens regularly and we can live with it, luckily Wikimedia is
not a commercial company but mostly based on voluntary work, so let's
donate some money...

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising

Unable to connect to 207.142.131.213

Uhm, the problem that people may like to donate when servers are down
but cannot do so when servers are down is known for ... years? Why is
wikimediafoundation.org still hosted at Wikimedia's own server
farm? It's only a small website isn't it? I bet the costs of moving to a
reliable, independent webhoster will easily pay off.

Maybe it's that Wikimedia Foundation does not need the money?

with a shake of the head,
Jakob