[Foundation-l] Stewards are ignoring requests for CheckUser information?

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Apr 16 14:27:04 UTC 2006

roc wrote:

>Many Chinese editors, including me, have the same concern as what
>Essjay said, and that is why we currently do not have any checkusers
>local to zhwiki
>(http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Checkuser). People worry
>about the possibility that the IP addresses of registered users may be
>leaked to evil hands or regimes (the currently ruling Chinese
>Communist Party is exercising more and more control over Internet for
>its own interests); if that happened, both the individuals and the
>Foundation would suffer; although the chance is low, one incident
>would be enough. Currently, we give our trust to the few users
>appointed by the Foundation, so I think that any new procedures for
>cross-project checkusers need to put this worry in consideration. (The
>Chinese community continue to debate whether we really need local
>checkusers and what more stringent selecting criteria and monitoring
>procedures for local checkusers should be adopted.)
>
>roc (zh:User:R.O.C)
>--

This is IMHO why such a policy needs to be tailor fit for each
individual project.  The standards that are applying for zh.wikipedia
should not be the same for en.wikibooks, for example.  I agree that a
certain level of paranoia exists among Chinese speakers... even when
they don't necessarily live in or are even citizens of the People's
Republic of China.  They should have a much higher standard for their
own local project.  In addition, with over 50,000 registered users on
zh.wikipedia, trying to get the minimum number of 30 votes to support
checkuser elections isn't going to be a problem.  It still doesn't
answer my question over how you could stop a government agent from
becoming an administrator or somebody with checkuser privileges, or for
that matter the PRC government can simply demand this information
directly from the Foundation, and the Foundation would be legally
powerless to deny the request.  They (the government) could even demand
access logs and other information that is not given to people with
checkuser privileges.  Any attempts to deny this information would be
just legal roadblocks and just a matter of time before they would get
it, and cause further grief for the Foundation board.  Futhermore, such
formal requests would be made without the knowledge of any Wikimedia
user outside of the Foundation legal circle.  At least checkuser scans
are logged for public review

--
Robert Scott Horning