[Foundation-l] Wikibooks portal http://www.wikibooks.org

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Apr 8 16:52:14 UTC 2006

Kernigh wrote:

>The Wikibooks portal, http://www.wikibooks.org, is a redirect to the
>http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks_portal which is maintained by the
>sysops of the English Wikibooks. However all language editions of Wikibooks
>should have opportunity to request updates or redesigns of this portal.
>
>At March 2006, the English Wikibooks sysops redesigned the portal to feature
>the top ten language editions, as does http://www.wikisource.org. Recently
>an anoymous user noted that the Swedish edition reached 10th place.
>However, when I checked the stats [1], Swedish had 11th place and Hebrew at
>10th. Thus I would remove Hungarian and add Hebrew.
>  [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikibooks
>foundation-l mailing list
>foundation-l at wikimedia.org

I'd like to add that I created that list of Wikibooks on Meta precisely
because the list on Wikibooks (and similar lists on Meta) were
incredibly out of date and didn't take into account some Wikibooks
projects that were growing but not being noticed.  Instead, I tried to
go through all of the various Wikibooks projects and tried to identify
all of the projects that

1) Had any registred users
2) Had *something* on the "main page" of the project other than the
standard new Wikimedia project starter content

That is a pretty low standard to use, and I think I got all of the
Wikibooks projects listed now that fit this criteria, although it would
be useful to conduct a new survey in a few months or so.  That should
easily catch all of the Wikibooks projects that have over 100 book
modules, which was my main goal, and to see which projects were getting
close to the 100 module mark.  Serbian is likely to be the next 100+
module Wikibooks project.

BTW, I don't know if anybody noticed, but well over 50% of all Wikibooks
content is now in languages other than English, with German being the #2
language, accounting for about 15% of the total Wikibooks content.  This
IMHO is a significant development, and something to keep in mind that
en.wikibooks is not even the majority player in the Wikibooks community
any longer, even if it still is the largest project.

--
Robert Scott Horning