[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 12:35:36 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Kernigh <xkernigh at netscape.net> wrote:
> Elisabeth Bauer <elian at ...> writes:
>
> > When we started Wikimedia Deutschland, we decided to use meta-wiki to
> > host the wiki pages related to the verein instead of hosting them on the
> > german wikipedia. The effect: nothings happens there. ...
>
> That might not be the right cause. For example, I use English-language pages on
> meta.wikimedia.org mostly for interproject situations. If I want to know about
> IRC channels or new project proposals, I use Meta. However, I still mostly
> ignore the Foundation pages, and I would continue to mostly ignore them even if
> they were at en.wikibooks.org instead of Meta.
> -- [[Wikibooks:en:User:Kernigh]]

Agreed. And I would argue that chapter work, although it needs the
input of as many editors as possible, should not happen on Wikipedia,
apart maybe from the very first steps to gather interested people.

Chapters imply people who are devoted in another kind of way than editors.

I like the way some chapters have started on meta (Wikimedia UK for
example), others have decided to have their own wiki from the start
(Wikimedia CH or Wikimedia Nederland).

I believe that if people want to be involved in chapters, they *will*
make the efforts of going to meta or some other dedicated wiki. And I
believe it is the right way to go.

If I look at the genesis of the French chapter, many people who had
millions of opinions to give while the pages were on the French
Wikipedia suddenly lost interest as soon as the Chapter was founded
and they could finally *do* something with/within the Chapter. On the
other hand, people who have an interest in organisational matters have
found their way to Wikimedia France.

Delphine
--
~notafish