[Foundation-l] External site using Wikinews logo

Kyle Lutze kylelutze at cox.net
Sun Sep 18 16:19:25 UTC 2005

Dan Grey wrote:

>>>Protecting copyright is uncalled for?
>>>

>>Considering the origins of that site, and the people
>>using it, your
>>reaction is a bit on the touchy side.
>>

>>>I'm not sure how that justifies a private site
>>>

>>using a
>>

>>>copyrighted Wikimedia logo without permission.
>>>

>>Private in the loosest possible sense.  And what
>>does it mean for a
>>project people are still working on to be 'dead in
>>the water'?  In any
>>case, I would feel better about this thread if it
>>had been started by
>>someone with no private bone to pick with said site
>>operator; but you
>>don't like him at all.  Perhaps you can find someone
>>else to help you
>>advocate your points.
>>
>>SJ
>>

>This mail has finally arrived through Yahoo :-)
>
>Just for the record: the operator of that site and I
>get along very well - we chat most days in IRC. After
>reading Angela's response to this issue, he closed the
>site and apologised profusely.
>
>You may wish to hesistate before leaping to
>conclusions about people's motivations.
>

>Dan

OK, I thought I would update you guys on this as I am part of that
project, freematrix networks. Nick Gerda [User:NGerda] wanted to work
with us on doing a daily news update from information on
en.wikinews.org. kyelewis and I, the two most active freematrix staffers
at the time helped him out in getting lined up to do the updates on air,
and worked with him on creating a site on a subdomain of ours to get
ready to promote it.

There was no harm meant in using the logo here. The hope was to make
wikinews into more of an actual news network type thing, even with video
broadcasts of news updates on the hour, once a day, or however you
wanted to do it.

As for us causing harm, I don't see why we would? after all freematrix
is the one that broadcasted wikimania to the masses.

Side note: we still need editors for those files so we can post them to
commons! they are stored as one long file, so they need to be chopped
up, metadata edited, and permissions and copywrites found for what they
will be released under (such as the speech given by the chineese member
is not able to be published). I should also post this as another thread
here soon, just forgot about it and didn't know which mailing lists to
post it to.

Kyle