[Foundation-l] The use of digital material

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 00:05:15 UTC 2005

Dori wrote:

>On 9/1/05, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>resolved before this actually happens. One thing that is of importance
>>to IISG is that the material that they make available, will get a much
>>improved exposure to the exposure that it gets through their own
>>website. There are several ways in which we can improve exposure; using
>>the material in our Wikipedia and other projects is one and localising
>>the the Meta data is another way of making this happen. Even when we
>>have done the things that improve the exposure, it is important that we
>>are able to quantify the usage material has.
>>

>I don't like any conditions other than GFDL/GFDL-compatible licensing.
>The content is the content on Wikipedia no matter where it came from,
>and I don't think they should receive any special treatment.
>Additionally, what do we do about reuse? What if we can't turn on
>counters due to performance reasons? I don't like shackles added to
>the foundation, even if they're made out of paper.
>
>Dori

Hoi,
First of all /I/ have not said a word about licensing. I am asking about
proving the obvious to an organisation that does not know us; we are
able to give important material a lot of exposure. Second, content is
the content made available by the Wikimedia Foundation never mind if it
is used in Wikipedia or any other project. Third, why do you think that
an organisation like IISG should not receive any special treatment ? Did
you have a look at the material that they are the custodian off ?
Fourth, when material is made available under a license that is
compatible with what we do, reuse is part and parcel of that license.
Fifth, if we cannot even /discuss /the possibility of having counters on
a yet undetermined number of pictures, what does that make us ?? Sixth,
if we prove to an organisation like IISG that we add value by giving
their content more relevance we do research in our own function. This is
something that the research network would also be interested in.

I also want you to remember what the aim of the Wikimedia Foundation is;
it is to bring free knowledge to every person in the world. The IISG is
an acclaimed institution in their field. They can truly help us in our goal.

Thanks,
    GerardM