[Foundation-l] The use of digital material

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 23:17:54 UTC 2005

Hoi,
One of the admins of the Dutch wikipedia did visit the International
Institute of Social History (Internationaal Instituut voor Sociale
Geschiedenis - http://www.iisg.nl/ ) in Amsterdam today. This was to
discuss to what extend we can cooperate. The collection of the IISG is
of an international importance and it would be great if we could find a
way to cooperate. There will be several issues that will need to be
resolved before this actually happens. One thing that is of importance
to IISG is that the material that they make available, will get a much
improved exposure to the exposure that it gets through their own
website. There are several ways in which we can improve exposure; using
the material in our Wikipedia and other projects is one and localising
the the Meta data is another way of making this happen. Even when we
have done the things that improve the exposure, it is important that we
are able to quantify the usage material has.

As far as I am aware we do not keep tabs on the usage of individual
articles let alone individual pictures. It would however be important
for us to be able to do this when it helps us to gain the trust from
organisations like the IISG . My question therefore is; can we do this
and, are we happy to do this if it helps us prove our added value to
organisations like the IISG that are looking for more exposure of their
content.

NB I have been asked to ask this question. Personally I have not been
involved in any contact with the IISG. This is a follow-up of the
Koninklijke Bibliotheek contacts.

Thanks,
    GerardM