[Foundation-l] Re: Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 16:16:57 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkinson wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry but it is quite strange for me to imagine that someone would
>> remove such a link, _other than_ if they were in the grip of some of the
>> false and inflammatory rhetoric which has been thrown around here.
>

> Possibly there is false rhetoric involved in the discussion, but this is
> probably due to a lack of information and clarity from the Board on this
> issue. To quote from the press release:
>
> "Wikipedia will create a Tools page on its English-language site to
> promote useful tools that access Wikipedia, and 1-Click Answers,
> Wikipedia Edition, will receive charter placement on that page."

The press release, and the text posted by Angela in various locations,
was certainly not clear on the nature of the agreement, especially
regarding the rules relating to placement. Accordingly, I've updated the
page on Wikipedia on the subject, with some help from Jimbo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3ATools%2F1-Click_Answers&diff=26359451&oldid=26323607
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Tools/1-Click_Answers&diff=26361212&oldid=26359451

And I've retracted my opposition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Tools/1-Click_Answers#Apparently_the_community_will_be_involved

Redirect URLs in case of errant line breaks:
http://tinyurl.com/ck9l3    http://tinyurl.com/76jxy
http://tinyurl.com/cv7no#Apparently_the_community_will_be_involved

-- Tim Starling