[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Mon Oct 24 15:45:45 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I'm sorry but it is quite strange for me to imagine that someone would
> remove such a link, _other than_ if they were in the grip of some of the
> false and inflammatory rhetoric which has been thrown around here.

Possibly there is false rhetoric involved in the discussion, but this is
probably due to a lack of information and clarity from the Board on this
issue. To quote from the press release:

"Wikipedia will create a Tools page on its English-language site to
promote useful tools that access Wikipedia, and 1-Click Answers,
Wikipedia Edition, will receive charter placement on that page."

I don't think it's a big leap to assume, from this short excerpt (and in
fact from the rest of the press release) that Answers have in some way
paid for this placement. I think it's the idea that the Board has
announced a partnership which results in the direct addition of
something to Wikipedia which has created this confusion. The press
release is vague and finding out that this is not the case is, at best,
difficult.

Regardless, you still haven't answered the question.

> Such as what?  Do you really know what you're saying, or are you jumping
> to some false conclusions?

I would have thought that the founder of Wikipedia and the President of
the Wikimedia Foundation would be the foremost upholder of "assume good
faith".

One of the ideals which I am referring to is free access of information
which is not influenced by individuals, governments or corporations. The
idea that it is possible to purchase text placement on Wikipedia gives
many cause for concern - some people see advertising as the next step.

Chris