[Foundation-l] A proposal for new language creation

ilooy ilooy.gaon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 15:39:52 UTC 2005

2005/11/23, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com>:
> ilooy wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest that taking into consideration ISO codes or SIL codes may [...]
> This is exactly the policy we adopted several years ago, which has proved
> insufficient.
> Relying on existence of ISO codes brings us:
> * split Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian replacing Serbocroatian [controverial]
> * Klingon
> etc
> and denies various languages/dialects/whatever which don't have their own codes
> but which are oft asked for.

Hi Brion, kaj saluton,

Actually I was suggesting it as a means
to pre-sift through new language requests.
Then those situations which require further
attention could be handled more delicately.

As it is the situation gets pretty charged
up. I offered my suggestion in the hope that
maybe this way some requests, like the one
for Murcian or Andalusian would be handled
right off without the need for a lot of discussion.

I hope I was able to explain what I had in mind
with this suggestion. I know somethings have
been tried already. But there is also the idea
that precedents have been made, a forum
which deals with the more delicate issues
would be a welcomed situation, I too agree
with this, and my suggestion of the ISO and
SIL codes was meant to help in this regard
not to take its place of course.

With regards,
Jay B.
[[meta:User:ILVI]]